Wednesday, 24 October 2012
Sunday, 21 October 2012
Dasara Exhibition at Mysore has always been quite famous but was certainly more charming in those times. Let me share unforgettable memories from my childhood and with a little bit of history. This is a longish post because the memories are many. Read further....
In all the years I've been married, we've hardly ever had a postal address with a house number or a street name.
Our address has always been 'c/o' (husband's designation), followed by the name of a tea garden, a Post Office, and a district name. A bit like the Phantom, who sends a man to collect 'any mail for Mr. Walker' from the Post Office in Denkali, a tea garden manager has a 'dak wallah' who goes to the nearest post office every morning to drop off and pick up letters.
Saturday, 20 October 2012
Watching the events at the Trivandrum Airport yesterday on TV, I was reminded of an old story. Just after a flight took off from Mexico City a man rushed into the cockpit brandishing a pistol. He told the pilot ‘I’m highjacking the plane. Take it to Miami, Florida’. The surprised pilot said, ‘But this flight is to Miami.’ The passenger shook his head and responded, ‘Twice before they said that, but it was highjacked to Havana.’ more
Monday, 15 October 2012
I came upon this strange dish, Pitcher Plant Rice, which is popular with the locals of the Land Dayaks of Sarawak near the district of Bau and Serikin in Malaysia. It is a delicious Bidayuh food. The unique dish is “cooked hill rice (purple colored rice from Borneo) with peanuts in a cut opened pitcher”. Read more here
Saturday, 13 October 2012
Recently the Prime Minister made a statement that large scale planting of trees would be started for making firewood easily and cheaply available all over the country. A proper nation wide agro-forestry project should considerably reduce the demand for cooking gas from the villages.But modern kitchens cannot use firewood. ...more
Thursday, 11 October 2012
· * Happy Birthday AB! You have done everything from A – Acting to Z - showing Zing in everything you do! We need more alphabets now. Congrats on a great life!
· *Can happen only in India! The more we try to liberate our women, Chautala echoes Khaps to say marriages for girls to be done before they turn 16 to avoid rape! Insanity running in family?
* Finally Justice comes from outside! IOC bars Kalmadi & Co even as our Govt. is rehabilitating Kalmadi and Raja!
Posted by ER Ramachandran at 12:18
Friday, 5 October 2012
Two recent suggestions by the Kerala High Court have become the major talking point in the State. One is that bars should open only at 5 in the afternoon. Lunch time drinkers and those who go to office after some stiff ones certainly won’t like this. But the main point of contention is an earlier observation of the HC to stop toddy tapping and replace that drink with beer.
Thursday, 4 October 2012
2G- Fame (ill) A. Raja and CWG Hero (!) Kalmadi are back in Parliamentary committees!
· Happy Birthday to Lataji ! Lata- Rafi controversy unnecessary. It was your voices young India hummed and grew up with.
· Sanga and Mahela are starting a hotel, main menu being crabs; the name of hotel is quite familiar to us! 'Ministry of Crabs!'
Posted by ER Ramachandran at 21:27